Monday, January 30, 2017

January's EPIC Adventure - Meals for 2/5/2017


One of my New Years Resolution this year is to do something EPIC once a month. I don't really know what they will be, but I decided I needed to start enjoying life more and do something to get my adrenaline up (ironic because my adrenal gland is already overly active- thank hypothyroidism).

January's experience came on suddenly - I had the opportunity to join the Women's March in Salt Lake City with my kids. The main theme of the march was ending sex trafficking, but there were also many other empowering messages shared. My kids and I made signs the morning of, skipped school, and spent the day in Salt Lake. Baby A slept the entire march in her baby sling and the kids and I marched from the City Creek mall all the way up hill to the capital steps in heavy snow along with an estimated 10,000 protestors. As cool as the experience of my first protest was, the true high came from the feelings of love and community I felt marching up the street with my three kids. It not only felt wonderful to be physically stand up to misogyny and show my kids that they have a voice, but to do it surrounded by so much support and unity. All around us were empowered women, men, and children standing up for ourselves and our people. Epic!


At 5, my daughter sees gender discrimination all the time and asks me about it. "Why did he say police MAN? Can't girls be police?" "Why is pink a girl color? Max likes pink too." "Why can't boy wear dresses?" I don't prompt these thoughts, but you can bet I answer these questions with truth. She now knows that some people think boys and girls aren't equally capable and that these people are dead wrong. She chose the words for sign by herself (see above). I think its important to not hide truth from my kids, especially when they recognize and question injustice. She's so young and already experiences bias on a weekly basis; it's only going to increase from here. I want to arm her with the knowledge that any resistance she meets can and should be ignored. She can climb trees, get dirty, build sky scrapers, fight crime, become a heart surgeon, be a working mother, and be smart with no apology or explanation. Knowing that her teachers, family members, or friends who might say otherwise are wrong gives her the freedom to move beyond them with confidence and understanding. She's already doing this in kindergarten and I am so happy for her. The march was another way for me to actively reenforce that she is powerful and that there are others who support her.

I am really happy with my choice to bring my kids and the experience they got to have. I will continue to look for more ways to get my kids involved in worthy causes and serve others. Let me know if you have any ideas!

----------
Meals for 2/5/2017

BREAKFAST: Another morning of Waffles and Experimental Syrup (40g)

LUNCH: Butternut Squash Soup (20g)

This soup is one of my favorites. I slice a butternut squash in half, cover with a tent of foil,  and roast  until tender, scoop out the insides, puree with one sautéed chopped onion, and just enough chicken stock to get the blender to puree. Add a dash of salt and cinnamon. DONE. And its the best. So filling and hardy. Most the grocery stores I've seen only carry organic butternut squash, so this one is so easy to make work. The squash can take a while to roast depending on size, but its so worth it to get the sweet roasted flavor lost in boiling or steaming. This also freezes really well and reheats with no issues, making it a great meal to bring to someone in need. Its also dairy and gluten free and easy to make vegan if you go with veggie stock. I usually eat about 2 cups.

DINNER: Fajita Salad (20g) with Guac (5g)

I like to use lots of cilantro and guacamole as my dressing on this salad. It make it so filling and compliments the spicy meat well. If the chipotle gets too spicy this meal is also good with a tablespoon or two of Ranch dressing too cool things down.

Fajita Salad (20g)


Steak marinated in pureed chipotle peppers (1g)
Lettuce and bunch of Cilantro (1g)
1/8c corn (5g)
1/4c black beans (10g)
⅛ bell peppers (2g)
⅛ onion (1g)

Guacamole (5g)

1/4 Avocado (5g)

1T Salsa (0g)
juice of 1/4 lime (0g)
salt


EXTRA: 35g If we have any leftover Strawberry Shortcake I might eat that for dessert, or perhaps some hot coco.

No comments:

Post a Comment