Tuesday, January 24, 2017

*ACTUAL* Low Carbohydrate Meals - Meals for 1/30/2017

Spring 2017 will mark the second year I have been striving to eat a low carb diet. I was diagnosed with PCOS in 2015 which means I am automatically pre-diabetic. My endocrinologist, with whom I work closely, has instructed me to eat no more that 120 grams of carbohydrates per day and lean more on proteins and healthy fats to make up for the calories I loose in skipping the sugars and starches. This has kept me fit and energetic all through my third pregnancy as well as kept my thyroid in check with no thyroid medication in a year and a half! 
I've searched all over online for ideas and most "low-carb" recipes have laughably HUGE servings of carbs. Here I will present 3-4 meals per day that can fit into my 120 allotment; most meals will equate to 30-40 grams of carbs. If you need an even lower carb idea, you can always cut the meal in half and add a salad or green smoothie. I usually make 2-3 meals worth for my entire family of the lunch and dinner dishes, although occasionally I eat something different than the family for lunch.
I make most all my meals from home and try to eat only whole foods. You'll see that I am not perfect in this (mother of 3, hello!) but I'm doing my best. I'm finally getting tired of counting out my carbs at every meal and/or eating the same things over and over again, so I'm making my now little go-to low-carb meal list for my own benefit.These are meals I *actually* eat. I meal plan out every week and shop accordingly, ensuring I make room for any treats I feel are worthy of my belly. One of my main issues is that I do NOT like eggs. Major issue when going low-carb! I also am not a huge fan of raw tomatoes, cheddar cheese, fish, or mushrooms as will be reflected in my meal planning. Maybe you're like me and need ideas. Maybe this can help someone who was like me 2 years ago. I hope so! Enjoy.


----------

Meals for 1/30/17 

BREAKFAST: Breakfast Apple Oatmeal (32g)<----carbs counts ;)



1/2c dry oatmeal (25g)
1/8c golden raisins (10g)
⅕ medium apple (6.4oz) (5g)
Dash of cinnamon (0g)
Teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar (0g)
⅛ avocado (1oz) (2g)


Cook oatmeal (or do overnight oats) and add the rest in! The avocado is a great creamer and adds wonderfully healthy fats that will keep you full for a long time! The apple cider vinegar and apples make for wonderful flavor, as well as the pops of raisins. I really don’t desire this meal any more sweet, but if you do add a few drops of stevia and enjoy!


LUNCH: Roast beef sandwich (43g)


2 slices Dave’s killer bread, Sprouted Whole Grain (30g total)

½ large avocado (10g)

Lettuce (1g)

Roast beef deli meat (2g)
1T Mayo (0g)



DINNER: Chuck Roast with fixins (27.5g) and Basic Ranch Salad (9g)

Chuck Roast with fixing (27.5g)

Chuck roast (1g)

1/4c gravy (2.5)

1/8c onions (2)

1c carrots (6)

1/2c mashed potatoes (16g)


Cook roast, onions, carrots, and cup of water in a crock pot on low till cooked thoroughly. Salt as desired. Make gravy with dripping and flour. Add beef bouillon to taste if desired. Mash potatoes with a dash of whole milk and butter to taste.

Basic Ranch Salad (9g)

1 handful Lettuce (1g)
2T Ranch (2g)
¼ avocado (5g)
⅛ bell peppers (1g)

I'm currently using Hidden Valley Ranch in the bottle because I'm too lazy to make it from scratch this week. Making it from scratch with buttermilk is the best though!

EXTRA: Theres an extra 8.5g of carbs leftover for this day. Maybe use it towards a snack midday? Or a nice piece of dark chocolate after dinner? I have been purposefully cultivating a taste for dark dark chocolate over the past two years. The higher the cocoa ration the fewer the carbs (usually) :)

---------

Oh man, I'm looking forward to next Monday! I will have just completed my 26 day Green Smoothie Girl Detox. I am looking forward to some MEAT! Pot Roast is my favorite.
By the way, I recommend this detox. Its well thought out and in a total different camp than the crappy "detox" diets you find in magazines. Its a vegan, mostly-raw, organic plant based diet with easy modifications for those with blood sugar issues. I made this work for me easily and it showed me how to fit more veggies into every meal. And my doctor approved it! I ended up loosing 10 pounds, but that wasn't my goal. As I say, I've been eating right and didn't need to loose weight. But, if you do, its supposed to lower your body natural weight equilibrium. We'll see!

No comments:

Post a Comment