Friday, January 27, 2017

Guinea Pigs and Bonding - Meals for 2/2/2017

Throughout my life I seem to be one of the guinea pigs of my generation; I was born the oldest of three girls,  I started babysitting at age 11, I had my first job at 15, I got my first serious boyfriend at a younger age than my friends, got married young, graduated college early, had babies before anyone I knew my age, have had post-pardom depression twice and now have 3 kids at age 27. I am the first person I know with PCOS, the only I know with both that and hypo-thyroid, and have dealt with other relationship and mental health challenges earlier than my friends. I don't mind it. Growing up as the eldest I am used to finding my own way. Somehow though it still surprises me how these challenges have prepared me to be a guide for friends, family, or strangers who are going through similar issues after me. All those times when I felt lonely and like I didn't have anyone to trusted to turn to who "knew the way" have prepared me to have compassion for those just entering new waters. Without these difficult times I think I would be just so ignorant and inadvertently cruel to those around me. I am grateful to be the person to ease the unknown for my loved ones. I think that my life experience, as short as it is, has opened my eyes wide enough to expand my compassion to people in situations I haven't personally experienced. I think I pause before judging others longer than I would otherwise. I am grateful for my illnesses, pains, suffering and loneliness! They help me live deeply rooted in this world and tie me to the others around me. What a great place to be it is inside me.

These are just some of the reasons I chose to start writing about my food relation to PCOS. I don't claim to be any kind of genius when it comes to food. I think my meals are well balanced throughout the day, but one of the reasons I want to record my meals in such detail is so I can view them from a higher level. Am I eating enough whole grains? Am I eating 50% fruits and veggies? I will continue to record my meals and after a few weeks I will do a deep analysis and really see what MY plate actually looks like compared to the recommended "My Plate." Today I am still coming out of my detox and introducing some healthy gut bacteria. 


----------
2/2/2017

BREAKFAST: Cherrios with whole milk (24g) half a banana (13g)

This combo is a classic, am I right? Another quick morning as I get stuff DONE!

LUNCH: Chicken Kimchi Lettuce Wraps (26g) recipe found here and grapes (15g)

After my detox I am in need of some healthy gut-boosting lactobacilli bacteria, which kimchi provides. Mixed with some leftover chicken from Tuesday, this should be a very tasty and energizing lunch. Easy too! I am already planning on eating two servings.

DINNER: BBQ Chicken and fixings (29g) Basic Ranch Salad (9g)

Leftover from yesterday

EXTRA: 4 carbs, for a bit of dark chocolate.

---------

Well I am several days into writing about my meals. I have to say its been very therapeutic. I didn't expect to talk about PCOS so much or really much of my personal life in these food posts. I guess it just goes to show how closely my food choices are to my heart. And I haven't even begun to address the social aspects of food. My husband and I started our relationship as friends cooking together. We still eat dinner together every night as a family. I teach my kids in the kitchen and enjoy the legacy of good cooks on both sides of my family with inherited recipes and practices. I have felt a little left out the past month as I have been eating different meals from my family. I am realizing that cooking and eating are bonding experiences for me to a degree that I never fully appreciated. No wonder our food habits can be so challenging to change!


No comments:

Post a Comment